This recipe has been a long time coming, but I have finally put together my recipe for Hyderabadi Dum Biryani with Chicken. I don’t know why I’m soooo nervous about getting this recipe out to you guys! I feel like all the expert aunties/moms are looking at me with a keen eye to make sure its done right!
Hyderabadi Dum Biryani is the epitome of Hyderabadi Cuisine. A must for any event, big or small. You really haven’t hosted to the fullest extent and shown your affection until you have served your guests Biryani. Through the years I’ve found that the key to a good biryani is the freshness of the spices, especially cardamom. I always try my best to make sure to use freshly ground cardamom in order to get that fragrant smell. Of course, Biryani has to have its accompaniments such as Dahi ki Chutney(yogurt chutney) and either Bagaaray Baigan or Mirchi Ki Salan.
We have consumed a lot of Biryani in order for me to get the perfect recipe out for you and we are not sad about that at all. I did want to let you know that I’ve decided to introduce you to the chicken version first because it is a easier protein to work with. The process of making biryani with kacchay gosht(raw meat) can be a little bit trickier than if you were making it with the meat pre-cooked and then layered. I’ve tried to make the process as streamlined as possible for you guys and I hope you guys definitely try this out! It’s not as overwhelming as it looks, promise.
Step 1: Marination
1 whole chicken cut(10 pieces)
1 cup plain yogurt
1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
6-7 Thai green chilis, 1/2 bunch of cilantro, 1 cup mint leaves(optional)
finely chopped in a food processor/chopper
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp garam masala
3 tsp cardamom powder
1/4 cup lemon juice
2-3 tsp salt(adjust if needed)
Wash and dry chicken. Add all the remaining ingredients above and marinade for atleast 2 hours.
Step 2: Assembly and Baking
2.5 cups basmati rice(I typically use Royal Chef Secret)
1 tsp carraway seeds(shah zeera)
3-4 cardamom pods
1-2 cinnamon sticks
1 tbsp salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil(preferably oil from frying the onions to make fried onions)
1 cup fried onions
3 tbsp ghee
1/2 cup milk
Pinch of Saffron
1. Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Bring a pot of water to boil to cook the rice in. Season it liberally with salt as you would for pasta and add the caraway seeds, cardamom pods, and cinnamon sticks. Cook the rice just about 3/4 of the way through, or al-dente. It should still have a bite to it. If you are like me, you will have probably eaten about 15 grains of rice to check the bite! Drain the rice into a colander and keep aside.
3. In a separate pot(the biryani will be steamed in this one, so a thick-bottomed oven safe pot will be best), layer the marinated chicken on the bottom of the pot evenly.
4. To the chicken, add the vegetable oil, half of the fried onion, and 1 tbsp ghee. Mix everything together.
5. Next, you will layer the rice on top of the chicken. Spread it out evenly.
6. Sprinkle the remaining fried onions on top.
7. Using the back of a wooden spoon, poke about 4 shallow holes and place about 1/2 tbsp ghee in each hole.
8. In a cup, warm up the milk with a pinch of saffron for 1 minute in the microwave. Slowly pour over the rice.
9. Cover the pot with aluminum foil and then lid for a tight seal.
10. This step is the most important. Place the pot in the oven at 450 for 45 minutes.
Pull the pot out and open one side of the foil and check to see if there is any liquid left by using a flat spoon and moving the rice just a bit from the edge of the pot.
**If the liquid looks dried up and you see the oil/ghee separating from the chicken, then turn the oven to 300 let rest for another 5 minutes.
***If you still see some liquid, then keep at 450 for 10 more minutes and then rest at 300 for 5 minutes.(note: this step will be about the same if you were to double the recipe)
Remove the pot from the oven. Use a flat spoon to carefully mix the chicken with the rice. This is best done right when it comes out of the oven.
***Serve with Dahi Ki Chutney and Bagaaray Baigan***
Recipe for a simple Dahi ki Chutney
1 cup yogurt, 1 small onion finely diced, 1 tsp ginger garlic paste, 1 finely chopped green chili, 1 tsp salt, and chopped cilantro
Whisk all the ingredients together and serve with Biryani.
Click on Fried Onions and Bagaaray Baigan for their recipes.