Kichdi (Red Lentil and Rice)
Kichdi, Khatta, Anda, Papad...When all put together, you have the most popular breakfast meal in Hyderabad. Growing up, it was tradition for my mom to make Kichdi for Sunday Brunch every week. Kichdi is a very healthy dish that simply consists of ‘rice and lentils’. Yet, it is only one component of the entire meal. It is traditionally served with a chutney called Khatta, that is made of tamarind. Along with it, we either make an omelette called ‘pyaaz ka anda’, kheema(ground beef), or a fine delicacy of Hyderabad, ‘talay huway gurday kaleji’(fried kidney and liver). It is then paired with mango pickle, some ghee, and pappadums for some crunch. Now you have a meal! Obviously, this is not a light meal when put together, so it has become more of a staple meal for Sunday dinners in my home and is a popular favorite among the family.
Do check out the side dishes for Kichdi below:
Pyaaz Ka Anda
1 1/2 Cups Rice
1/2 Cups Red Lentils(Masoor Ki Daal)
1 Medium Onion Sliced
1 Tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
1 Tsp Turmeric
1 Tsp Shah Zeera
4 Pods Cardamom
1 Cinnamon Stick
3 Cups Water
2 Tsp Salt
1. Take the rice and lentils and wash them thoroughly. Cover with water and let soak.
2. In a medium pot, heat 1 tbsp oil and fry the onion until slightly browned.
3. Turn the heat to low, add the ginger-garlic paste, turmeric, shah zeera, cardamom, and cinnamon stick. Sauté all the ingredients together well.
4. Drain the water from from the rice and lentils mixture and add to the onions.
5. Lightly sauté and mix everything together. Add the 3 cups of water and salt. On medium heat, bring the water to boil. Cook until the rice is about 3/4 cooked then cover the pot and let cook on a low flame for about 15 minutes until the rice and lentils on completely cooked.
6/2/2018 02:34:54 pm
Leave a Reply.