Tandoori chicken with gravy is a delicious spin-off of the popular Tandoori chicken, which is grilled in a Tandoor(also known as a clay oven). It is marinated much like grilled tandoori chicken with yogurt and tandoori masala. Tandoori masala is a unique mixture of different aromatic spices such as garam masala, cumin, cardamom, red chili powder, and ginger-garlic. Here I use the tandoori masala to make a stovetop version of a savory tandoori chicken and is delicious paired with tandoori naan.
1 cut-up whole chicken(2 lbs boneless breast/thighs cubed can be substituted)
1/2 Cup Yogurt
1 Tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
1 Tbsp Shaan Tandoori Masala
1 Tsp Cumin Powder
1 Tsp Red Pepper Powder
1/2 Tsp Turmeric
2Tbsp Tomato Chili Sauce (Maggie works best)
1/4 Tsp Red Food Coloring (optional)
1/2 Tbsp Salt(adjust to taste)
1 Tbsp White Vinegar
3 tbsp oil, 2 tsp shah zeera(caraway seeds), 2 springs curry leaves, and 2-3 green chilis
1. In a bowl, mix all of the above ingredients (minus those for tempering) together and let marinate for at-least 30 minutes.
2. In a pot, on low flame, heat 3 Tbsp oil and slowly add the ingredients for tempering(caraway seeds,curry leaves and green chilis). Stir for about a minute until the skin on the green chilis is slightly blistered.
3. Slowly add the marinated chicken to the pot and mix everything together.
4. Cover and let the chicken cook on medium heat for about 20-25 minutes. Uncover and cook for another 5-10 or until the gravy slightly thickens.
5. Cover and simmer on low for another 5 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve.
Best served with Plain or Garlic Naan and Rice